Winter tour in pursuit of the polar lights 4 days 3 nights
It is exciting travelling to the North of Russia, which starts with visiting Murmansk, the largest city beyond the Arctic Circle. You will also visit the lands of the Sámi people and get acquainted with their traditions and customs. You will even visit the other side of the world, the village of Teriberka and be captivated by the beauty of the local nature and by the landscapes of the endless Arctic deserts (tundra). The pursuit of the polar lights will provide you with the unique experience which is worth undergoing at least once in your life.
Arrival in Murmansk. You will be met by our representative and transferred to the city centre.
Guided city tour which includes visiting
- Five Corners Square
- The monument to The Defenders of the Soviet Arctic during World War II (known as "Alyosha»), the memorial dedicated to the soldiers and sailors who perished in peacetime.
At an extra cost:
- Visiting the nuclear icebreaker "Lenin", the first nuclear icebreaker in the world.
Accommodation in Azimuth 4* hotel (or similar).
Visiting the ‘Sámi Seit’ museum dedicated to the Sámi (also called Saam) people, inhabiting the Kola Peninsula and lost somewhere in tundra amidst the fur forests.
- You will see the traditional reindeer skin tents, called Chums, as well as the alley of Sámi people idols, where you will have a chance to make a wish.
- Visiting a farm to admire such farmed animals as reindeer, huskies, Arctic foxes and rabbits.
- Take a quad bike tour, play traditional Sámi games, take photos in Sámi folk costumes.
- Tasting Sámi salmon soup, called Lima, bread baked in the village of Lovozero and drinking Pakula, which is a lichen tea.
Return to Murmansk.
- Accompanied by a local guide you will be given a chance to admire the Northern lights, which is really an incredible and unique experience worth undergoing at least once in your life.
Attention! Depending on weather conditions, the pursuit of the polar lights may be postponed or cancelled.
The whole day is devoted to visiting the abandoned village of Teriberka, located on the Barents shore, 150 km to the North of Murmansk. The village became famous owing to Andrey Zvyagintsev's film ‘Leviathan’.
You will be attracted by the fascinating landscapes, Arctic tundra, and the shore with huge boulders known as ‘dragon eggs’.
After walking 3 km along the shore, you will see a magnificent waterfall flowing into the Barents Sea.
You will visit the so called ancient ship cemetery and see numerous old ship wrecks and then go to ‘Old Teriberka’, the village inhabited by the pomors (a small-numbered folk living there all through the ages) and known for its haunted houses.
Picnic with tea and sandwiches (on the spot) Return to Murmansk.
The price includes:
- Visa Invitation to Russia and transfers to all tour destinations.
- Accommodation in Azimuth 4* hotel (or at one of the same class) for 3 nights.
- Lunch picnic in Teriberka.
- Guide services.
- All excursions and trips planned by the program (including observation of the polar lights).
- Entertaining programme in the village of Sámi (soup tasting, quad bike ride, reindeer sleigh, etc.).
- Assistance and advice provided by our staff throughout the tour.
- International flights
- Personal expenses.
- At an extra cost, accommodation in a separate room.
- Transfers, meals and excursions not included in the tour program.