Trip to Veliky Novgorod
Novgorod is a unique city and lies along the Volkhov River. It is the birthplace of Ancient Rus history. Prince Rurik established the Rurik Dynasty in Novgorod that ruled over Russia for 700 years. A trip to Novgorod is a unique possibility to immerse in the culture, visit the place of Russian origin and enjoy the medieval architecture of 11-12th centuries.
The uniqueness of Novgorod:
- Novgorod Kremlin is in the heart of the city. There is a variety of historical monuments in the walls of the old-established fortress.
- The Cathedral of St. Sophia is the first Russian stone construction of the 11th century. Six domes shaped as a helmet in reminiscence of six heroes of folk Russian legends. The domes rise above the city and guard it from enemies. The cathedral was a religious center of the country.
- The monument to the thousand years of Russia (‘the Millennium of Russia’) is one of the most interesting monuments,a 5-metre-high bell crowned by a cross, encircled with several tiers of sculptures representing Russian monarchs, clerics, generals and artists active during various periods of Russian history.
- Yaroslav’s Court is a former vibrant market place that was, once upon a time, a hub where merchants set out various goods, many boats and ships were moored. There are still plenty of monuments of 12-18th centuries.
- «Vitoslavlitsi» is a unique museum of wooden architecture, you will see an exceptional collection of wooden buildings such as Russian izba, churches, mills, sheds of 16th-19th centuries.You will immerse in the typical life of Russian villages.
2 days and 1 night in Veliky Novgorod
Spend a unique weekend in Novgorod, you will discover one of the oldest cities in Russia, its major sights such as the Novgorod Kremlin and the Cathedral of St. Sophia